With few exceptions, a Building Permit is required for the construction, enlargement, alteration, improvement, removal, relocation, demolition, or extension of structures, roofing, electrical, plumbing and HVAC systems.
Tomi Business Card.jpeg

Tomi Tompkins, Building Inspector/Code Enforcement Officer                                                     

 Office Phone/Fax: (607) 278-5600
Cell: (607) 267-3767 

Work may not start before the issuance of a Building Permit. 

                                                 A plan of the approved Building Permit must be kept at the worksite and available for inspection throughout the progress of the work being performed.


The application must be completed in pen (printed clearly) or typewritten.

All applicants submitting for a NEW HOME or for an ADDITION that will include a bedroom(s) must include plans for septic installation.

  1. New home applications on Town roads require Town Highway Supt. approval of driveways entering a Town Road (607-278-6073).  Driveways entering a County Road require Delaware County Dept. of Public Works approval (607-746-2128).  Driveways entering a State Road require NYS Dept. of Transportation approval.
  1. All applicants must include the applicable forms regarding proof of Worker’s Compensation for any construction to be done.

               a) If homeowner is doing all of his own work, you must include Form BP-1 Affidavit of Exemption (form is           attached to this application and must be notarized).  

               b) If owner contracts for work to be done, you must include copies of a Certificate of Insurance for General Liability Insurance AND either copies of Worker’s Comp coverage OR ** Form CE-200 Certificate of Attestation of Exemption. (**Instructions for CE-200 are included below.)

A Building Permit cannot be issued without these forms being submitted.

  1. CE-200 - Applicants filing electronically are able to print a finished Form CE-200 immediately upon completion of the electronic application. A paper application is included in the Application package on our site. Once the applicant receives the CE-200 the applicant can then submit that CE-200 to the government agency from which he/she is getting the permit, license or contract.
  1. Structures requiring engineer approved and stamped plans:
        (a)    Any stick built residential construction of living quarters more than 1500 SF in size, including a daylight basement area 
        (b)    All commercial buildings
  1. Plans to be submitted with the application: 
        (a)    Plot plan showing the actual dimensions of the lot to be built on and the size and location of the building to be built. 
        (b)    The location, grade, and dimensions of any access drives. 
        (c)    The location and type of water and sewage facilities
        (d)    Plan and dimensions of each floor layout of the building and accessory to be erected or altered, and a complete     material specification list.  
        (e)    A COMPLETE and DETAILED drawing of foundation specifications and cross section view of all framing members.  All framing members must be spec-ed out and labeled.

This application must include the appropriate fee and filed with the Town Clerk. 
NOTE:  All property owners/contractors performing work without a Building Permit will be subject to a violation fee equal to the permit fee and suspension of the project until fees are met.
Effective 12/31/2004, all new structures built on vacant land must obtain a 911 Emergency location number after the structure is built. All Certificate of Occupancy (CO) or Certificate of Compliance (CC) applications, for any new structure must include the 911 location number before a CO or CC can be issued. Old Fire Numbers (ie: VM291) are no longer valid.  To obtain a 911 number for new structures on vacant land, or if you do not know your current 911 number for an existing structure, you must contact Delaware Cty. Emergency Services at (607) 746-9600. 

*  Work may not be commenced before the issuance of a Building Permit. 

A plan of the approved Building Permit must be kept at the worksite and available for inspection throughout the progress of the work being performed.


*The Building Permit is valid for one year from date of issue.  If work is not completed within one year, 2 years of renewals can be applied for with fee. On third year, a new permit must be purchased and will continue from year to year until such time that a Certificate of Occupancy or Compliance is applied for.

*Upon completion of all work that requires a Certificate of Occupancy, an application must be filed an appropriate fee paid. It must include an approved septic report from NYCDEP and an approvedelectrical inspection report when applicable.  The Building Inspector must be contacted to make a finalinspection of the completed work in order to close out your file.

* Upon Completion of work that requires a Certificate of Compliance, an application must be filed and appropriate fee paid. The Building Inspector must be contacted to make a final inspection of thecompleted work in order to close out your file.

Permits must be kept current.  Expired permits are subject to fines.