The Senior or Aged Exemption is separate and in addition to the STAR Exemption. This exemption may be applied to both the Proprty Tax and the School tax.
The Town of Davenport and our local school districts (Charlotte Valley, Franklin and Oneonta) have opted to grant a reduction in the amount of property and or school taxes paid by qualifying senior citizens. This is accomplished by reducing the taxable assessment of the senior's home on a sliding scale based on income.
To qualify, seniors generally must be 65 years of age or older and meet certain owner/residency and income* limitation requirements.
To apply or reapply for the senior citizens exemption, file the applicable form with your assessor:
- for first-time applicants: Form RP-467, Application for Partial Tax Exemption for Real Property of Senior Citizens, or
- for renewal applicants: Form RP-467-Rnw, Renewal Application for Partial Tax Exemption for Real Property of Senior Citizens.
*Proof of income
If a Federal or New York State income tax return was filed for any of the owners of the property or their spouses for the preceding year, copies of such return should be submitted with their application. You may also be required to submit statements of payments made by the Social Security Administration,(1099) bank statements, rent receipts or other documents to substantiate your statement of income.
- TOTAL Social Security payments BEFORE deduction for Medicare
- salary and wages (including bonuses)
- interest (including nontaxable interest on state or local bonds)
- total dividends, net earning from farming, rentals, business or profession (including amounts claimed as depreciation for income tax purposes - see ORPTS Opinion of Counsel 5-30)
- income from estates or trusts
- gains from sales or exchanges
- the total amount received from governmental or private retirement or pension plans
- annuity payments (excluding amounts representing a return of capital)
- unemployment insurance payments
- disability payments
- workers compensation
- Individual Retirement Account (IRA) contributions
- earnings on IRAs
More information can be found at this NYS Department of Taxation & Finance webpage..